Friday, July 24, 2009

El Comite de Padres con Hijos Discapacitados (comite of parents with disabled children) met for the third time on Wednesday. Despite the fact that we were missing all the members who live south of the meeting spot (the bus came super early- I missed it too but was able to find a ride), we had a good turn out- around 25 people. There were about 12 parents of kids with disabilities, most of whom brought their disabled child, a woman from the community who has worked in physical therapy, and a pair of teachers from Spain who are working with kids at a local school.

I had hoped that during this meeting, I could start to transfer some of the leadership of the group to the parents themselves. I started off the meeting basically saying this, and throughout tried to get the parents more involved in the direction of the meeting. One of the mothers in particular has really opened up and assumed a leadership role. She's the same one who went with me to Rivas, to visit Los Pipitos. She brought all her informational packets and her therapy ball to the meeting. She also volunteered to present the goals and objectives of the group to the new participants. She told me that she serves as secretary on a board at Pipitos, so I'm hoping she'll want to run for a position in our group. When I suggested elections, people didn't seem too enthused, but apparently this is the reaction that Alice, one of the other interns who worked with groups of pregnant women, was confronted with when she tried to form committees. We decided to revisit the elections next week, and maybe by then people will be more excited about the idea.
I'm pretty concerned that the group may disintegrate when I leave, so I'm trying my best to figure out ways to prevent that from happening. The most threatening element, from my perspective, is the fact that very little physical therapy has actually been demonstrated. The reason for this is the diversity of disabilities within our small group. Basically each kid requires individual attention and evaluation in order to determine what types of therapy exercises should be implemented. We suggested that each parent try to recruit a pair for their child- another kid with a similar disability with whom he/she can partner for therapy. Hopefully that will help a little bit, although I'm not convinced, because we don't have a licensed therapist regularly coming to meetings.

What might be more feasible and ultimately a more strategic first step is shifting the focus to sensitization of parents and community members. If I could introduce the parents to the idea that their child can develop with their help, I think that would be something really good. There's a series of posters in the preschool that we're having the next meeting at that shows examples of methods of stimulation for kids with disabilities- ways of engaging and teaching your child in and around the house. We'll probably spend some time discussing that at the next meeting. And the nurse here said she would give a "charla" (informal talk) on sensitization. (Is sensitization even a word? My hold on English-especially spelling- is withering). Regardless, I also want to get some interactive children's music to play at our meetings. And everyone signed the letter of solicitation that I wrote to los Pipitos, so that will be sent off next week (on the bus- there's no way to mail letters from here). That partnership is probably our best hope for the group- but I don't want to get my hopes up too high in case things don't work out.

It's incredibly sad to see what these kids, and their moms or dads, are up against. There is nothing here for them. Except for the 2 who go to Pipitos for therapy, the rest have no opportunities to develop, improve their quality of life, learn to walk, to talk, etc. It's a devastating situation. Each meeting is a fresh blow, and I leave consumed by the sadness of it all. I now feel like these people are counting on me to do something to improve things, and if I can't, I don't know how I'll handle that.

We did do a little art project last time- finger painting. But the paints I brought (the only ones I had access to for free) smelled suspiciously toxic. We tried our best to wash the kid's hands after they finished painting, but I felt pretty irresponsible having supplied them with hazardous paint. Next time I'll buy my own.

There's a bunch more stuff I want to write about, but it will have to wait because I've got to go home for lunch and then to a meeting in Las Salinas. Ay! I forgot to mention a huge development! I am now the distinguished owner of a bicycle! Never mind the fact that it lacks breaks- I can get places now! I came into this fortunate position through Alice, who I mentioned earlier. She bequeathed her bike to me, as she is leaving tomorrow. I'm thrilled to have the bicycle, but bummed to be losing Alice.

Granada tomorrow, more soon.

No comments: